Saturday, February 5, 2011

(Part 9) Tips for the UCO chess player rated between 1500 and 1800

A second opening choice   inspired by IM Welling.
I had prepared 1.b4 & 1.d4 b5 + 1.e4 a6 2.d4 b5 for a tournament. In the second round I played against a player who had a rating similar to mine. I played a variation that I considered good starting from 1.b4 d5
After about 13/15 moves I had a very poor position and soon I lost badly. My confidence in that 1.b4 variation was shaken and I was afraid to play it again in the coming rounds the next day. So I needed another opening to play on which I could still rely on.
At this point of the story comes the help of IM Welling. Perhaps what I an saying will sound a little bit philosophical but this is how it goes for me. Sometimes when you chat with a much stronger chess player, you are exposed to greater "chess awareness", so it happens that while you are discussing certain chess related things, a concept you had vaguely in mind is clearly defined in that moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment