Thursday, February 3, 2011

(Part 6)Tips for the improving UCO players rated between 1500 and 1800 )

The "energy saving" concept   taught me by IM Gerard Welling.

For sure unorthodox chess openings are exciting tools to start a chess game. As a Uco player you feel creative and you know that you are leading your opponent towards  an unknown path..at least for him, if you have done your homework :-)  but....it requres energy and concentration.
I try to explain this point more in detail: I believe that 1.g4 is a playable move but it is much easier to go downhill playing it than if you choose to play 1.e4 or 1.d4
This is  not to be consdered good or bad, it is something to take in consideration. Just suppose you didn't sleep very well last night and you had a difficult day at the office.  You feel tired and you go to the tournament room for a rated  game that wiill start at 20,00 and it will probably finish around 23,30
Yes, you can play 1.g4 but it will require much energy care. Are you ready for it or do you prefer to be less creative but spare some energy?
This subject is especially meaningul now that I am in a phase between the "middlegame" and the "advanced middlegame" of life at 46 years of age and the concept of a diminishing level of energy is a real issue to deal with. I remember that when I was 20 years old, I could play many blitz games before a rated game and after the serious game I could go out with friends to drink something till very late. Of course in the morning I could wake up very early. Now I need more time to sleep and recover.

1 comment:

  1. Here's the trick: poor openings are good against poor players, and good openings are OK against good players.

    ReplyDelete